1. Delgamuukw v. British Columbia (Supreme Court of Canada)  3 SCR 1010, paragraph 186
2. R v. Thomas Peter Paul (NB Provincial Court) (1996) 182 NBR (2d) 270
3. R. v. Thomas Peter Paul (NB Court of Queens Bench) (1997) 193 NBR (2d) 321
4. R. v. Thomas Peter Paul (Court of Appeal of NB) April 22, 1998
5. Constitution Act, 1982 section 35 reads "The existing aboriginal and treaty rights of the aboriginal peoples of Canada are hereby recognized and affirmed."
6. Peter Hogg, Constitutional Law of Canada, (1992) p. 681
7. Indian Act section 88 is interpreted by Professor Hogg as allowing provincial laws of general application to apply to aboriginal people but not provincial laws that affect ˘Indianess÷. See Hogg (1992) p. 677
8. Native people in the Maritime provinces assert that aboriginal title to the Maritime provinces still exists. For a full analysis see G. P. Gould and A.J. Semple, Our Land: the Maritimes (1980, Saint Annes Point Press, Fredericton)
9. Hogg (1992) p. 685
10. id. n. 2 at p. 296 - 298
11. id. n. 4 at p. 25
12. Calder v. AG BC  S.C.R. 313
13. R. v. Sparrow  1 S.C.R. 1075
14. id. at p. 1090
15. id. n. 1 at para. 143
16. id. para. 111
17. id. para. 115
18. Personal communication with Cleveland Allaby, Counsel for Thomas Peter Paul
19. Delgamuukw at para 161 and R.v. Gladstone  2 S.C. R. 507
20. Delgamuukw at para 165
21. Delgamuukw at para 186 and Sparrow at p. 1105
22. Ecological Land Classification for New Brunswick: Ecoregion, Ecodistrict, Ecosite Levels, Department of Natural Resources, 1997.
23. Zelazny, V. and Veen, H. The Acadian Forest Past and Present. Proceedings of the Ecological Landscape Management Workshop, Canadian Woodlands Forum, Canadian Pulp and Paper Association, Fredericton, New Brunswick, 1997.
24. Loo, J., Ecological Function and Biodiversity, Forest Protection - Developing a Strategy for New Brunswick, Premier Round Table on the Environment and Economy, Fredericton, New Brunswick, 1997.
25. Woodley, S. and Forbes, G., Forest Management Guidelines To Protect Native Biodiversity in the Fundy Model Forest, Greater Fundy Ecosystem Research Group, New Brunswick Co-operative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit, University of New Brunswick, 1997.
26. Public Lands in Public Hands: Managing Crown Forests in the Public Interest. Policy Proposal, Conservation Council of New Brunswick, 1994.
27. Betts, M. and Coon, D., Working with the Woods: Restoring Forests and Community in New Brunswick, Conservation Council of New Brunswick, 1996.